South Africa’s nuclear industry want to try to get the PBMR fuel ROD amended yet again – with the third or fourth new set of Environmental Consultants appointed – each one more driven than the last to get through the public comment period as fast as possible & drive the process using the new legal loopholes as far as we will allow them.
- The fuel manufacture is happening at Pelindaba but is another step towards the PBMR being built – so please mobilize country wide communities to lodge objections to the increased quantity of fuel (originally the ROD was given for the 110 MW PBMR) now they want to increase that to allow for the increased fuel for the new PBMR.
- They also want to include a (small) radioactive incinerator smelter and are asking for an EIA exemption.
- They are also asking for a change in wording of the ROD already issued (so that it is clear what the requirements are)
This falls into the grand scheme of things the State wants to do & includes:
1. Complete the PBMR Environment Impact Report and achieve a positive Record of Decision before the elections.
2. Continue with the EIAs for Nuclear-1 at Bantamsklip, Thyspunt and Koeberg up to an including a positive Record of Decision
3. Continue with the EIAs for infrastructure (Roads and Powerlines, included), so that there will be NO LEGAL OPPOSITION when the time comes to impose their will.
4. Spend several more billion rand on the PBMR (Pty) Ltd Company.
URGENTLY please take a few minutes TODAY before the 13th February 2009 to register as an Interested and Affected Person (I&AP) with Strategic Environmental Management Consultants about an application to amend the Record of Decision (ROD) for the PBMR Nuclear Fuel Plant at Pelindaba.
Public comment starts on 16th FEB closes 18th March 2009 but you need to register TODAY and ask for relevant documentation to be sent to you.
The contact is Sean O’ Beirne
PO Box 100339
ANYONE MAY REGISTER & IS URGED TO DO SO IF YOU WISH TO PLAY YOUR PART IN PUTTING AN END TO THE PBMR PROJECT .
PELINDABA WORKING GROUP
& member of the national
COALITION AGAINST NUCLEAR ENERGY
Tel: 012 – 205 1125
Cell: 083 740 4676
135 total views, 1 views today